Sunday, September 28, 2014

If you want something, ask for it.

We've all heard the phrase "Good things happen to those who wait." In reality, the best things happen to those who ask.

Think back to being a kid. Was Santa Claus ever on his game enough to bring you something that you didn't request? Probably not.

I don't remember exactly what I whispered in the Jolly Old Man's ears at the mall as a five year old, but the letters I wrote to him went something like this:


"Dear Santa,

Here are some cookies and milk for you and carrots for your reindeer. 

I promise I've been really good this year. 

I really hope that you'll bring me a My-Size Barbie.


Sincerely,

Emily"


I wrote a similar letter for two years in a row, but Santa never provided me a My-Size Barbie (apparently they were sold out all across the world). Now, with 20+ years of experience under my bet, I know exactly what I did wrong.

You see, my request wasn't explicit, and my justification was far from effective. Plus, I didn't tell Santa HOW to get the right doll. If I were to have a conversation with a much shorter and youger version of my self, I'd point out how I really should have been firm about what I wanted and why I wanted it. I would have also sent the letter ahead of time instead of waiting until the last meant and leaving it under the tree. 



"October 1, 19--

Dear Santa,

I've been a very good girl this year. I completed my 99% of my chores on time and never forgot to do my homework. As a result, my parents continue to be pleased with my conduct. Because of my consistently wonderful behavior, I am requesting that you honor my wish for a My-Size Barbie. 

There is a high likelihood that my behavior will only improve if I gain access to a doll to call my own. The My-Size Barbie would be like my best friend. I'd play with her every day.

I understand retailers keep selling out of this doll. I recommend a direct purchase from manufacturer. I've booked you a meeting with Mattel's VP of Operations to discuss inventory needs next month. She has already mentioned her delight to begin a fruitful partnership with you.

I wish you all the best with your journeys to and from the North Pole. Travel safely!

Sincerely,

Emily"








No comments:

Post a Comment