Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Fear of Public Speaking (FOPS)

The hardest class I took in college was Public Speaking.

My father would laugh when I told him about my struggles. He said most people used that class to bump up their GPA.

I was terrified every time I was put on the spot to deliver a speech. Thankfully, I had a really awesome teacher who taught me to reach deep inside for the confidence required for oratory presentations. If it weren't for "Madam Duke" (as I adoringly referred to her), I'd be far behind professionally and socially. 

I'm still not where I want to be in terms of squelching my FOPS, but I am still surrounded with very strong influences who push me to exude the same confidence that Madam Duke imparted on me years ago.

Just last week, my intonation was scrutinized, and I was thankful for the reminder to Always Be Improving, a direct link to confidence -- and the ultimate cure for FOPS. 

How do YOU prepare for speaking publicly?

No comments:

Post a Comment