Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Breaking bad habits with productive hobbies.

Reviving my inspiration from The Success Indicator comes with intentions of shaking up my daily routine, which has worsened considerably since Justin Sparkles has been out of town.

I usually wake up, play with my cat, run, bike, work, bike, make dinner, watch terrible television shows, pet my cat, and go to bed on repeat at least 4 days out of the week (this is interrupted by the Thursday Night Social Ride). Downtime is filled with mindless Internet browsing, which I have justified as a means of turning off my brain around bedtime.

Granted, my marathon training schedule and personal transportation preferences eat a significant chunk of time out of my day, but less productive things -- like my attachment to Netflix -- could be scaled back or dismissed altogether.

In lieu of ineffective media consumption, I'd like to focus on alternative hobbies that are more productive in nature:

Writing
Check

Industry Reading
Finish The New Rules of Marketing & PR and find additional (non-redundant) sales and marketing literature.

Yoga
I've been running 50+ miles and biking 100+ miles on a weekly basis with minimal to no stretching involved. The meditation factor of yoga is also attractive for mental well-being.

Strength Training
I'll be taking aerial arts classes at SkyCandy starting next Monday in hopes of increasing my flexibility and core strength, two physical improvements that could potentially lead to a PR at the Boston Marathon.

Art
Once upon a time, I wanted to be a professional creative. Thankfully, my spiral into a Sales career has preserved my passion for art as an enjoyable outlet for self-expression -- it's about time to pick up a paint brush again.


What are your most productive hobbies?

No comments:

Post a Comment