Wednesday, April 30, 2014

CYCLING STYLE: Safety first.


My good friend Annie Angello requested a recurring guest blog entry on cycling style for her publication, Yay Bikes!.

As far this topic's relation to SUCCESSTICATED goes, I would honestly say that my enjoyment for biking came from making it my own thing and not subscribing to the spandexed monkey-butt look unless a trip requires such gear. I discovered that riding a bike and self-expression do not have to be mutually exclusive. Thus, happiness has ensued.



Let's start with the basics necessary for safety:

HELMET - This is a must for safety. It took a while for my helmet to stop feeling weird, but now it feels weird to ride without one! I am in love with Bern's Berkeley model, which includes a removable visor that allows me to wear thicker hats in the winter.

BACKPACK - I like my Camelback backpack for its size, functionality, and color. Despite being small, it fits a change of clothes, running shoes, and my lunch with the usual stow of a U-lock, repair kit, credentials, and an iPhone. Note how the purple matches my helmet and coordinates well with the orchid hue of my bike.

WATER BOTTLE -  Obviously crucial for avoiding dehydration, the water bottle can also be used to make a statement. I find that my vessels tend to match my color scheme.

SHOES - With shoes, flat, sturdy, and close-toed is the way to go! Boots are really good for the colder months, and a slight heal can help grip your pedals. 


Got style tips to share? List 'em below!



No comments:

Post a Comment