Sunday, May 11, 2014

Learning to say No.

Someone cue the Bill Withers.

If I were to really focus on one lane of self-improvement that would have a super positive effect on my professional life and general well-being, it would involve focusing on realizing when others are taking advantage of me and then finding the strength to keep it from happening.

Don't get me wrong; I love giving to others -- whether it be my time or any other commodity I have to give. Giving brings a sense of selflessness and keeps my stinginess  at bay, and I feel it is necessary to do in order to be a good person. And then there's that whole karma thing. When it comes down to it, the benefit of the receiver is the major draw.

This week was rough in terms of feeling sucked dry. My workload doubled. I was ripped off. I witnessed consecutive non-contribution and let myself pick up the slack. I felt deeply betrayed by someone who should never betray me.

I'm thinking back to when I was once denied a job because I "seemed like the type who couldn't say No."

Starting today, I am going to say "No" more. I am going to decline volunteer requests that I cannot realistically meet. I am going to deny friends who dip into my pockets on a regular basis. I am going to stand my ground and not feel bad about it. 

I am going to forgive, but I am not going to let people run over me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment